Thursday, September 03, 2015

Small town news

When I used to live in Chicago, the local Mount Vernon paper always gave me a bit of a chuckle. It's headlines would mention people by name, express concern over a specific building or plot of land, or even confront the latest debate over what flavor pie should be served at some town event. Admitedly, I'm exagerating a bit, but I do recall that the local paper always seemed so simple. What about all the "big" news that made Chicago run - movements in major industries, the impact of environmental policies, etc?! Flash forward now to my weekly reading list as a resident of Mount Vernon. You guessed it, that local newspaper is at the top! And guess what?! Those simple headlines really do address the things I care about. There are hundreds of other publications in print and online that can inform me of what's going on in industry and the world. And, even though I do hear rumors about what's going on town when I get my morning coffee, nothing beats the mostly unbiased viewpoint of the local weekly newpaper. Its reporters work hard to cover the issues that are important and they mostly stick to the facts as they observe them. Even better, if that coffee shop gossip intrigues me, the paper offers a great op-ed section that is frequently packed with local letters covering the gossip of the day!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home