Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What are YOU training for?!

That was the question posed to me as I was halfway through my mile swim today at the community pool.  I didn't quite know what to say as I'm not training for anything. And it got me thinking about the question. Is there an implication there that you shouldn't be working out unless you are training "for" something??  Have I portrayed that attitude when it comes to getting out and moving?  Whoa.  I almost decided that I should set a goal this year of no races just so that I can patiently learn how to "train" for nothing at all!  One of things that stands out among the group of people that I like to run and bike with now is that most of us do so because we truly enjoy it.  Sure, we do some races and we have goals, but those seem minor when it comes to just being what I call "out and about".  I don't know, is that a uniquely Iowa thing?  Or Is that something only I profess?  I'm not sure.  What I do know is that being able to exercise is something I enjoy. It gives me time inside myself, time to contemplate and sometimes, time to spend with some great friends. I really don't need anything else.  After my lane partner for the day posed what I'm sure was an innocent-enough question, I gave him a smirk, then a fist pump and a wink and said, "for life!"  I am training for life!  What about you?!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home