Friday, January 30, 2015

Toe Touches

You haven't read too many of my running musings lately because, well, there haven't been any! I'm still nursing the remnants of a herniated disk and not running. I have taken up "the gym thing." And, I've learned that hanging out at the gym just doesn't result in those brilliant ideas that happen on a run. As much as I enjoy cycling, that sport doesn't lend itself to the same sort of musings that running does either. Perhaps it's the insanity of running that causes the brain to open up it's part stupid, part creative, part genius side. When I'm in the gym doing those toe touches, my musings lately have to do  with germs. It's winter here, you know. I regularly muse over stomach crunches just how many germs lurk in the gym. I must confess to not being one who "wipes down" everything I touch in the gym. I don't sweat much there (does that mean I'm doing it wrong?) and I don't see the point. My gym stocks tons of spray bottles with half-towel cloths...I'm thinking the germs are lurking in those towels! They are always wet and they drape over the spray bottle or lie on the floor..ew! Unlike some of the other gym patrons, I also remain fully clothed while there. I wear yoga pants, sometimes cropped tights, a tshirt (no tank tops, ever!) and usually a sweatshirt (I'm cold alot). And, yes the sweatshirt does make me hot and yes, I am working out, but no, for the last time, I'm not sweating buckets. So, wiping down those machines. Yeah. I don't do it too often. I had a cold this week,  so I wiped down more than usual. But still, who else is bringing in germs?! Not too mention all the people that don't change shoes and come in with the salt and crud from the winter streets. Yuck. When my germ musings get too strong, I usually leave the room with all the machines and touchy stuff and resort to stretches and yoga kind of stuff in the open room in the back. But, that's where the street crud is now. I've never, not once thought about germs on a run even when I run with someone who blows their nose mid-run (in a runner's sort of way..ew!) I've just provided you with another great benefit of running - no germs, no germ musings. Well, as long as your running partner doesn't have a cold! Now if you see me lurking around with a spray bottle and old rag, please, please, just help me lace up my shoes and push me out the door - those toe touches finally put me over the edge and I really need a run!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home