Monday, November 25, 2013

A different side of the conversation

I have held a few jobs since I started working full time. I've even had the good fortune to work for some exemplary companies. And yet, every time I am accepted as a consultant into a new company, I learn something new, that I wasn't taught in school and that I probably couldn't pick up in a book.  During my latest project, I observed a company that was exceptional in its approach to integrating vendors as well as new employees into its culture.  I can sum up what I've observed and learned by saying that this company approaches new talent differently than most companies. They are also sure to share their perspective with vendors and consultants so that everyone can come from the same perspective as they work together. This company's mantra puts a person's individual style front and center, as a given, as something fixed. It then adheres to a strong company culture. Every decision is guided by culture.  As a company, expectations are high for both new hires and vendors and there is little hesitation to remove a party from the table when those expectations aren't met.  Wow.  As a consultant here, this level of expectations was exhilarating.  In translation, over the course of the project, that expectation meant we really had a lot of fun.  Knowing that every single person in the project was expected to perform at the same level of professional and enthusiasm as I was meant that my team could focus on the work, on the goal.  We no longer worried about anyone pulling their weight or what to do if someone couldn't keep up.  Those who needed extra help were not afraid to ask for it - asking for help was a core company value!  Those that were ahead of the game stopped to help those who weren't - another core company value.  Sure, at times, the expectations meant we had to work hard or take responsibility for something we weren't quite proud of.  Nevertheless, in the end, I believe that the company culture shared by employees and vendors alike kept us accountable to one another.  It helped us recognize the individual contribution and cheer ourselves and others on as milestones were reached.  It also helped us be a true team; proud of our individual contribution but prouder still of reaching the team goal.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home