Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Races

I ran a half- marathon last week and 7days later, I haven't exercised since. It's making me a little nuts. I used to be a bit exercise-obsessed, you see.  I purposely try to avoid being like that now. Nevertheless, an exerciser needs exercise like another person might need vitamins or lots of water or milk or whatever.  As long as I can balance in 3-4 days of sweat, I'm good. It didn't happen this week for lots of reasons. Which brings me back to the race.  Sigh.  It wasn't pretty. I really felt ready. I felt strong. BUT, it was a rough training season. My dad passed away and I skipped almost three weeks of training...it was cold and rainy most weekends...I have a new work schedule....So, I don't even know why I had such optimism.  But I did and it let me down.  I suppose I let myself down too, because I'm generally a happy runner.  As I passed mile 8 that day and the temperature creeped toward 70, I forgot that. I wasn't in the mood. Then, I lost the mood for the run.  Really, I had a good race.  I finished in just a bit over a 10-minute mile pace!  In the end, I realize that I should rejoice in clearing the finish line. I should applaud the effort, the effort it took to get me there and celebrate all those who made the journey.  How silly of me to forget all that as I completed the race that day. Today, I'm happy to have done it and am looking forward to another race.  Perhaps my goal for that one really should be simply to finish with a smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home