Friday, January 04, 2008

Caucus Night

I truly miss Chicago & Illinois Politics. Mayor Daley, the political machine, corruption, payoffs. It's better that Leno! BUT, how exciting is it to be a part of the FIRST IN THE NATION CAUCUS?! Especially this year! I attended my first caucus last night, as a democrat. I've been trained to be a democrat after all those years in Chicago (in my Chicago neighborhood of the last 6 years, you couldn't find the "R" button on the voting machine!) Here in Iowa, caucusing as a democrat is quite the involvement sport. You have to stand up and pow-wow in a group; you have to physically display your commitment to a candidate. I live in a small rural precinct. WE only had 2 delegates (or 2 state-level votes). There were about 70 people out to caucus. When I walked in the door, I boldly thought I'd stand up for Chris Dodd ("these aren't campaign slogans, it's what I've done). But, the "group-think" mentality really caught me by surprise and I ended up standing, initially for Bill Richardson. He was my choice before Dodd, but Dodd had swayed me, sort of, in the last couple weeks. Surprisingly, in the first go-around of our caucus, Richardson didn't look too bad. A candidate needed at least 18 supporters to be "viable" (this is based on a percentage calculation of those attending). Also surprisingly, in the 1st go-around, Richardson had more support than Hillary! But, then, we had to re-align; that's the process where you try to get to the magic "viable" number or stand undecided or join your second choice. The sentiment in my precinct was you're either for Barama or your against Hillary. But, the Edwards core supporters were pretty impressive and articulate. I ended up standing for Obama in the end. Old Chicago Boy. But, there was some talk about an Edwards-Obama ticket and that combo, in that order can easily sway me. Of course, until March, I need to focus on Obama. I mentioned that my preceinct was small. . .somehow, I stepped in as an alternate delegate to support Obama at the state convention in March. After all the standing for a candidate and re-aligning, I'm just not sure how that happened! But, I do know, the democratic method of caucus sure makes me think of early US elections before voting machines and secret ballots. The type of election where you'd better be able to articulate why you like a candidate and be willing to admit it in public. Does it fit with the American-way of politics? I'm not sure, but I do think the method encourages a higher level of involvement and interest. And, out here in cold and windy Iowa, that's not such a bad thing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home